Large TURKEYS weigh up to 12 kilos. The Pavitas up to 5 kilos.
The young have greyish or whitish legs and soft, the adult animal, has reddish and scaly.
The PAVIPOLLO is a turkey under 6 months, white meat, fine and delicate. It prepares the same as the chickens and you lay.
The TURKEY, is sold in various presentations: in some market places are alive, but usually get frozen, either whole (with giblets) or pieces (supreme or breast, legs, perniles and wings).
It should be noted that the turkey is very hard (not with soft parts). Its color is darker than the chicken.
When you go to buy the product to the supermarket you should take into account,
- Observe that the refrigerator where the product is being exhibited is operating properly (which is cooling).
- Observe the expiration date of the product or its expiration, which is not covered, altered, or retreaded. Choose the product with date as far as Possible.
- Check the packaging, which is in optimal condition, not in a pinched, damaged or beaten position. Neither with broken or discarded labels.
- Check that the gasket is not inflated (blown), because this indicates that the product is already decomposing.
- Buy the product at the end of the market, so that the cold chain is not interrupted.
Do not leave a lot of time exposed to heat inside the car, or outside the freezer (because its lifespan is shortened), maximum 30 minutes not to interrupt “the cold chain” of Turkey, which prevents the proliferation of bacteria that cause disease.
If possible, it must be transported in a thermal bag and away from polluting products such as cleaners, automotive oils or petrol as it absorbs these smells.
The turkey can be used as a strong dish or as an ingredient in many preparations. Its meat brings its great flavor when it is baked, it is golden and delicious. It is also used for the preparation of sausages and by-products of Turkey.
If you have a fresh turkey, cook within the date written in the “Use it for” package… If there is no date, cook within 2 days after bringing it home. If you do not have plans to use the turkey within 2 days of the date, put it in the freezer until you are ready to defrost y
If you have a frozen turkey, store it in the freezer until you are ready to defrost it, following the tips for thawing (below
). Turkeys should be kept at a suitable temperature during defrosting. While frozen, turkeys remain harmless portiem
po indefinite. However, if turkeys are thawed at temperatures above 40 º F or 4 º C, any harmful bacteria that has been pre
senteantes to freeze can be reactivated and begin to multiply, unless proper defrosting methods are used.
- 1-2 days, refrigerated, chicken or whole raw turkey. 1 year, frozen without interrupting its freezing process.
- 1-2 days, chilled, chicken or raw turkey in pieces or dispresed. 6-9 months, frozen.
- 3-4 days, refrigerated, chicken or cooked turkey. 2-6 months, frozen.
- 1-2 days, refrigerated, raw chicken or turkey sausages. 1-2 months, frozen.
- 1 week, refrigerated, processed chicken sausages (sausages, ham, Bologna) open package. Two weeks, no opening. 2-3 months frozen (open or closed package).
- 1-2 days, Chicken burger, refrigerated. 2-3 months, frozen.
- 24 hours, chilled with viscera (not cleaned).
- 1-2 days, refrigerated, viscera (giblets or giblets) of chicken. 2-3 months frozen. They should be frozen separately from the chicken because their duration is less than that of this.
It is possible to roast a frozen turkey if it is not filled. In this case, the cooking time will be at least 50 percent longer than the tiemporec
omendado for roasting turkeys that have been completely thawed.
Turkeys that you buy stuffed and frozen, with the USDA inspection seal or your state in the wrapper, are healthy because they have been procesado
sde according to sanitary control measures. These turkeys should not be thawed before cooking. Follow the handling instructions that come in
Defrost in the refrigerator
When the turkey is thawed in the refrigerator, plan ahead. For every 5 pounds of Turkey’s weight, calculate 24 hours of defrost in
a refrigerator with a temperature of 40 º F. or º 4 C defrost times in the refrigerator
y) 8 to 12 lbs 1 to 2 dí
as12 to 16 lbs 2 to 3 Dí
as16 to 20 lbs 3 to 4 DÍA
S20 to 24 lbs 4 to 5 days
Defrost in the microwave oven
Follow factory instructions when thawing a turkey in the microwave oven. Plan to cook the turkey immediately after descongel
arloporque some areas of the turkey may warm up and start cooking during microwave defrosting.
Thawing with cold water
Calculate approximately 30 minutes for each pound of turkey weight when thawing in cold water. Make sure the wrapper is waterproof. Lo
stejidos of Turkey absorb water like a sponge, which will cause the product to be diluted. Immerse turkey in cold water. Change the water ea
ch 30minutes until the turkey is thawed.
Defrosting times in water fría8 to
12 lbs 4 to 6 horas12
to 16 lbs 6 to 8 HORAS16
to 20 lbs 8 to 10 Horas2
0 to 24 lbs 10 to 12 hours
Turkeys that thaw in cold water should be cooked immediately after thawing because this method does not allow temperatu
1 year aprox.
When preparing the turkey, remove from the freezer, withdraw the packaging and place in a plastic container, large enough to fit the bird loosely and easily turn over when marinating (marinating or seasoning).
There it is left in the container, covered with vinyl paper and inside the refrigerator, to be thawed, for 4 or 5 days (depending on its size) before cooking. Every day it should be checked and flipped so that the condiments and the liquid medium that is used for your marinade, be it wine or beer, will be injected everywhere (with syringe if possible), especially in the breast (supreme).
If you bring giblets or Viscera in a pod inside the turkey, as soon as you can, remove them. These can be marinated separately and used for the sauce.
Frozen the raw turkey and whole, without interrupting the freezing process, lasts 1 year approximately.
When thawing the turkey, the microorganisms re-activate and can multiply to cause diseases, for this reason defrost inside the refrigerator. Never at room temperature and less freeze again.