Purchase of watercress: watercress, are a small leafy vegetable, rounded dark green and short and slender stems. They are not just a simple vegetable to incorporate into the food. In fact, watercress contains a lot of properties that bring many benefits to our health. Watercress contains countless vitamins and minerals, it is a powerful antioxidant and protects us against many diseases if we consume it frequently. Let’s see some of the most interesting properties of this vegetable
It is detected in intense green leaves, without black or flecks spots, upright stems and fresh aroma. When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe the display site, it is clean and properly refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When you reach your destination, refrigerate so that the “cold chain” is not interrupted.
- Watercress are used raw in salads, with vinaigrettes and dressings.
- Alone or accompanied by other vegetables.
- Also cooked in soups or creams.
Storage of watercress:
- Refrigerated in a container with preferably plastic lid.
- Don’t be too tight.
- A kitchen absorbent paper (dry) is placed at the bottom and the other before the lid.
Its duration also depends on its freshness at the time of purchase and its storage and conservation.
Conservation of watercress:
Approximately eight (8) days.
- Dry the excess moisture from the lid of the container and change the paper if it is wet so that the remaining ones do not rot.
- It should be chopped with your hand or with a stainless steel knife so that they do not rust (put black).
- Place in a container with icy water to make them crispy and intensify the color before using them in salads.
- Do not freeze.
- Periodically check the status of the product to be able to consume it in time.