Tomato or tomatoes is a fruit vegetable, because they have seeds inside. There are various sizes and their shape can be round or elongated.
It can be seen in the firm texture (not soft), smooth, glossy, non-opaque, and without coffee roughness. Its color depends on the ripening point. They also sell them in canned or dehydrated. (see canned and dehydrated).
When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe that the display site is clean and adequately refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When you reach your destination refrigerate, so that the “cold chain” of the same is not interrupted.
Tomatoes are used raw for salads with other vegetables, “pico de gallo” (Mexican cuisine), among others.
- As an ingredient in stir fry or sautéed for stews and sauces. Also for creams and soups.
- As a garnish (accompaniment) raw or cooked, cold fillings and/or gratins (oven).
-For tomatoes It is advisable, to store clean and dry in plastic bag without closing much or uncovered, or with perforations, in “The vegetable drawer” of the refrigerator. -or in plastic container preferably, with absorbent paper (dry) in the bottom and in a not so cold place of the refrigerator. -If the whole tomato is not used, place the excess part facedown, so that it does not rot its own moisture and in container with lid, preferably of plastic, with paper of Kitchen (dry) in the bottom of it. -its duration also depends on the freshness at the time of its purchase. Refrigerated, 10-12 days approximately or more. Portioning and refrigerated according to instruction, approximately 5 days.
10-12 days approximately or more, refrigerated. Approximately 5 days, portioning and refrigerated according to instruction.
Do not freeze raw, unless they are to be used in soups, creams or stews.
Nutrients and properties:
(See nutrient content and its benefits in vegetables). Note: Periodically check the status of the product to be able to consume it in time.