Purchase of Romaine lettuce:
Romaine lettuce, it’s a leafy vegetable. of Lettuces, is the with more nutritional properties. It has wavy, tight leaves, a green color with white ribs. Looks like a cabbage.
Freshness of romaine lettuce:
It is seen in its firm texture, stems and leaves erect and tight, leaves color intense green. When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe the display site, it is clean and properly refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When you reach your destination refrigerate, so that the “cold chain” of the same is not interrupted.
Romaine lettuce is used raw in salads with other vegetables and seasoned with vinaigrettes and dressings.
Storage of Romaine lettuce:
Cos it’s advisable to store it like this,
- Separating their leaves by cutting their union will lengthen their “useful life”.
- Observe that they are in good condition and without animals (slugs).
- Wash them with water at room temperature (if they are dirty) and dry with absorbent cloth and clean.
- Place in a container with lid, preferably plastic and with lid, putting absorbent paper (dry) in the bottom.
- Place the leaves of the vegetable sandwiched to one side and the other.
- Again absorbent paper cooking before the lid.
- Refrigerate in the vegetable drawer or at the bottom and front of the refrigerator, not the bottom, because it is very cold and can freeze or burn, damaging its texture.
Its duration also depends on the freshness at the time of your purchase. Storage: Refrigerate. Duration: 8-10 days approximately or more by applying the given tips and depending on their freshness at the time of purchase.
- It should be cut by hand or with a stainless steel knife so that it does not rust (become black).
- Place in a container with icy water to make them crispy and intensify the color before using them in salads.
- Periodically or when used, before recovering the remaining ones, shake or dry the lid of the container, to remove excess moisture, this will lengthen even more “the life” of the vegetables.
Nutrients and properties of romaine lettuce:
Romaine lettuce is the most nutritious lettuce. (See nutrient content and its benefits, in vegetables). Note:
- Do not freeze.
- Periodically check the status of the product to be able to consume it in time.