Purchase of Lettuce:
The lettuce or ICEBERG, is a leafy vegetable. Of the lettuces is the one that contains less nutrients, basically is stuffed. In its form it looks like a cabbage. It is round with thin, concave and tight leaves, light green.
Freshness of the lettuce:
It can be seen in the firm leaves not soft, without brown spots and that its small stem is not of dark or pink color. When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe the display site, it is clean and properly refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When you reach your destination refrigerate, so that the “cold chain” of the same is not interrupted.
Lettuce is used raw in salads with other vegetables and dressings or vinaigrettes.
Storage of lettuce:
- First the round stem is removed and its leaves are separate.
- Observe that they are in good condition and without animals (slugs).
- Wash them with cold water (if they are dirty) and dry with absorbent cloth and clean.
- Place in a container with a lid preferably plastic, putting absorbent paper (dry) in the bottom.
- Place the leaves of the vegetable sandwiched to one side and the other.
- Again absorbent paper cooking before the lid. Cool.
Conservation of Lettuce:
Refrigerated in the vegetable drawer or at the bottom and front of your refrigerator, not the bottom, because it is very cold and burns.
Refrigerated, 8-10 days approximately or more by applying the given tips and depending on their freshness at the time of purchase.
- Dry the lid of the container often to remove excess moisture, this will prolong its “service life”.
- It should be cut by hand or with a stainless steel knife so that it does not rust (it becomes black).
- When you chop for the salads, place it in icy water to enliven the color, drain and it will be crispy and delicious texture.
Nutrients and properties of Lettuce:
Lettuce, is the lettuce that has less nutrients, is basically stuffed.
- Do not freeze.
- Periodically check the status of the product to be able to consume it in time.