The Galinsoga parviflora, wild basil, Ethyl, Pacoyuyu fino, star, mercurial are fresh herbs that are used to aromatize and flavor.
When you take the bunch of Galinsoga parviflora, look that this erect, intense green color, without any withered leaf, coffee or viscose. Characteristic fresh smell. They are also sold dry and stored at room temperature. (see spices).
When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe that the display site is clean and adequately refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When you reach your destination refrigerate, so that the “cold chain” of the same is not interrupted.
This herb is used as a condiment to aromatize and flavor the Colombian “AJIACO SANTAFEREÑO”. It has to be used in moderation, because if you put too much grass, you will know excessively smoked.
- Remove longer stems and roots (if any).
- Clean ground and remove any yellow, brown or black (rotten) leaves.
- Store the herbs in a container preferably plastic and with a lid, not glass because they retain more moisture and rot. Keep loose, not tight.
- Place dry kitchen paper towel on bottom and top before lid.
- Then periodically check the herbs, to remove the ones that are deteriorated.
- It can also be frozen in plastic bag and then used to give flavor to soups (ajiaco).
- Or it can be chopped and allowed to dry at room temperature.
Keep refrigerated. Never freeze
Approximately 10 days or more and depending on your freshness at the time of purchase.
- When using fresh herbs, check the remaining parts in the container to remove leaves in poor condition and dry excess moisture in the lid.
- This herb can be frozen in a plastic bag and then used in soups.
- The Galinsoga parviflora that are put to dry, can be used in grilled meats, will give them a delicious grilled flavor.
- If you are going to dry any fresh grass, chop finely and put on a dry sheet of absorbent paper, until it is completely dry, only so you can pack it, otherwise it will be filled with mold.
- Periodically check the condition of the product, to remove the weed that is in bad condition so that it does not rot the remaining one.