crisp lettuce is a very curly leaf, with a deep green color.
Freshness of crisp lettuce:
It can be observed in the intensity of the green of its leaves, with a slight brightness in them, stems and erect leaves. No withered leaves or brown edges. When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe the display site, it is clean and properly refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When it reaches its destination refrigerate, so that it does not interrupt “the cold chain” of it.
crisp lettuce is used raw in salads with other vegetables, seasoned with vinaigrettes and dressings.
Storage of crisp lettuce:
crisp lettuce is suggested to store it like this,
- Cut the root and separate the leaves.
- Observe that they are in good condition and without animals (slugs).
- Wash them with water at room temperature (if they are dirty) and dry with absorbent cloth and clean.
- Store in a container preferably plastic, with lid, putting absorbent paper (dry) in the bottom.
- Place their interspersed leaves, for one side and for the other.
- Cover the container again
- Refrigerate in the vegetable drawer, or at the bottom and front of the refrigerator, not the bottom, because it is very cold and can burn or freeze.
Its duration also depends on the freshness at the time of your purchase.
Conservation of crisp lettuce:
8-15 days approximately.
- For salads It should be cut by hand or with a stainless steel knife so that they do not rust (they become black).
- Place in a container with icy water to make them crispy and intensify the color before using them in salads.
- Check often those that have been left and shake or dry the lid of the container, to remove excess moisture, this will further lengthen the “life” of the vegetables.
Nutrients and properties.
(See nutrient content and its benefits, in vegetables).
- Do not freeze.
- Periodically check the status of the product to be able to consume it in time.