The cob (corn) is corn when it is tender and on its cob. It’s a cereal.
It is observed in its soft grains, of cream color, firm leaves of intense green color. It is advisable, preferably not to buy an ear of hard grains, of yellow color because they are usually old, nor beige because they are almost damaged. They already sell the husked corn, but the grains are not so fresh.
When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe that the display site is clean and adequately refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When you reach your destination refrigerate, so that the “cold chain” of the same is not interrupted.
The corn, is always used cooked. For soups, creams, stews, cakes, soufflés, omelettes and many other preparations. It can be grilled (whole and leafless) and varnished with espolvoreándole salt butter and served as a garnish for roasted meats. For other preparations it was devasted.
The grains are dislarged and placed in a plastic bag and frozen either raw or cooked. The raw, can be stored in the same bag, because they do not stick if they have not been moistened. Boil them, drain the water in a sieve, or steam them on a metal grate, let it cool very well and freeze. It can be left in whole and raw refrigeration with or without leaves, in plastic bag with kitchen paper towel (dry) inside or wrapped in paper film (Vinipel). Its duration also depends on the freshness at the time of your purchase.
8 -10 days approx. 1 month aprox.
It can be devasted or sliced and frozen. An easy way to devaste the corn is:
- Remove the leaves without removing the stem from the top.
- Cut the lower end of this, rest it on a board vertically and hold it by its stem.
- Cut the grains from top to bottom with a well-sharpened knife and as close as possible to the cob.
If they are peeled and without stalk, make the cut with the corn lying on the board, to avoid accidents. The ear grains soften faster in cooking when they freeze.
Nutrients and properties:
(See nutrient content and its benefits in vegetables). Note: Periodically check the status of the product to be able to consume it in time.