The chives, is classified within the group of the onions. They are thin and short branches, of intense green color (similar to grass or grass), with a soft and delicious taste.
When taking it from the container with water in the supermarket, check that the submerged part is very green and its smell is pleasant, otherwise it is not very fresh and will not last. Freshness, firm branches, no viscosity or strong odour, intense green color. When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe that the display site is clean and adequately refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When you reach your destination refrigerate, so that the “cold chain” of the same is not interrupted.
It is used to decorate, aromatize and flavor many culinary preparations such as, strong dishes, garnishes and salads.
Refrigerate whole (longer) with absorbent kitchen paper at the bottom of the container and another before placing the lid on it, or chopped and refrigerated in a container with lid, placing in the background an absorbent paper of kitchen and another one before the cover treating to M Áximo that it is well extended. Consume it soon.
- If you see that you’re not going to have time to spend it and before it gets damaged, it can be dried (chopped), at room temperature, in Pando container (a dish or tray), plugging with a napkin so that the insects do not contaminate it, but yes, that in the air.
It should be well scattered in the bowl and on a towel of absorbent kitchen paper, trying as far as possible that it is not stacked and as little as possible. Wait for several days until it is completely dry so that it can be packed or packaged.
- It will be kept at room temperature. It is not so cute and its flavor changes a bit, but you will have a nice decoration for the dishes.
- Its useful life also depends on the freshness at the time of your purchase.
- Duration: Fresh and whole refrigerated, approximately 15 days.
Chopped, 6-8 days approximately. Dry to exhaust existence.
15 days approx.
To dry it, place it on a towel with a kitchen absorbent paper (dry) at room temperature. When it is dry, pack it in a condiment bowl.
Nutrients and properties:
The chives contains a lot of water and low calories. -It also contains flavonoids that help in the reduction of cardiac conditions and are anticancer and anti-inflammatory. Flavonoids are also antioxidants. For ETA reason is that the consumption of chives or onions in general, is recommended for people with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Vitamins. Contains folic acid. Vitamin C (antioxidant), vitamin B6 (metabolic functions),-garlic also contains thiamine, vitamin associated with the proper functioning of the vision and liver and the health of the skin. -Minerals: Phosphorus, magnesium (carbohydrate metabolism). Potassium, which helps the good functioning of the heart. Note: The one that dries should really be dry to pack or pack, otherwise it will give mold and touch discard.
- Do not leave it at room temperature in a container with water (as in the supermarket, there is no problem because it has great rotation), as it shortens its “useful life”.