It is a vegetable that is classified within the green cabbages but there is also red cabbage and is called “cabbage”.
It is observed in the satin and firmness of its leaves (they should not be opaque or soft) they must be tightened. When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe that the display site is clean and adequately refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When you reach your destination refrigerate, so that the “cold chain” of the same is not interrupted.
- Raw for salads (minced in very thin strips because it is a bit hard), it does not have to cook and it preserves all its nutrients.
- Bleaching (short cooking in low water boiling with salt or sugar) to soften and add other ingredients, dressings and vinaigrettes.
- In stews and typical soups.
- whole or in the portion you buy and in plastic bag is stored in the vegetable drawer or at the bottom and front of the refrigerator so that it does not burn with the cold.
- Its duration depends also on its freshness at the time of the purchase.
12-15 days approximately.
To consume it crude, to separate its leaves and to roll them well tight of a 3 and to leave very finely in julienne (like straw), thus it will be soft to the palate without having to submit it to cook so that it does not lose nutrients.
Nutrients and properties of cabbage:
-Cabbages in general are a group of vegetables inside which is the broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, which are characterized by low calorie foods, lots of fiber and water, so they are appropriate for diets Slimming. -they are of the vegetables that contain more proteins. -Great source of vitamins and minerals important to the health of the organism. -Among them, vitamin C (antioxidant), present in quantities higher than those presented by Orange, carotene, and vitamins of the B complex, being one of these folic acid. (See benefits of nutrients in vegetables.) Note:
- Periodically check the status of the product in order to consume it in time.