The bighead onion or shallot is one of the most used condiments in the world gastronomy.
Bighead Onion Freshness:
It is observed in its firm texture not soft, should not have roots. Whether white or purple, it is advisable to be slightly flattened on the tips, as the elongated are harder and less flavor and aroma.
It is also found in the market the dehydrated onion powder or flakes and is kept at room temperature. (see spices and condiments).
When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe that the display site is clean and adequately refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When you reach your destination refrigerate, so that the “cold chain” of the same is not interrupted.
As an ingredient for stews, sauces, creams (soups). As a garnish (accompaniment) of main courses: stuffed, au gratin and for salads.
Storage of bighead Onion:
It can be stored at room temperature in a cool, dry place, although it dries out. O refrigerate in plastic bag with kitchen absorbent paper (dry) inside. Also loose or on the net, in the “crisper” of the refrigerator.
The Bighead onion, once porcionada, must be stored in a plastic container (non-disposable) with a lid, face down and a kitchen absorbent paper (dry) on the bottom of the container. The duration also depends on its freshness at the time of the purchase.
Bighead Onion Conservation:
Temp. Environment or refrigerate according to case.
8 days approx. or 10 – 12 days approx. According to case.
The bighead onion, whether white or purple, has long life and more if you buy it fresh.
- After splitting, if there is a surplus, always keep facedown, so that its own moisture does not damage it (rot), in container with lid and absorbent paper (dry) in the bottom of this.
Nutrients and properties:
The Bighead onion contains a lot of water and low calories. It contains flavonoids that have properties that help decrease cardiac conditions, and are anticancer and anti-inflammatory.
-Flavonoids are also antioxidants. Why onion intake is recommended for people with high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
Contains folic acid, vitamin C (antioxidant), vitamin B6 (metabolic functions). -The Bighead onion also contains thiamine, a vitamin associated with the proper functioning of the vision and liver and the health of the skin.
Phosphorus and magnesium (carbohydrate metabolism). Potassium, which contributes to the good functioning of the heart. (See nutrient content and its benefits in vegetable TIPS).
Once the bighead onion has been split, never leave it in a container uncovered in the refrigerator, because when it has a strong smell, it is transferred to the rest of the food.
- Do not freeze without processing.
- Periodically check the status of the product to be able to consume it in time.