Capybara is a mammal animal of South American origin of the Andean region of the countries like Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru. It can weigh up to 1 kg. and up to 40 cm. Long.
In the market we can find them in different presentations, whole or pieces. Packed the vacuum or in common packaging. His flesh is rosy and firm.
When you go to buy the product to the supermarket you should take into account,
- Observe that the refrigerator where the product is being exhibited is operating properly (which is cooling).
- Observe the expiration date of the product or its expiration, which is not covered, altered, or retreaded. Choose the product with date as far as Possible.
- Check the packaging, which is in optimal condition, not in a pinched, damaged or beaten position. Neither with broken or discarded labels.
- Check that the gasket is not inflated (blown), because this indicates that the product is already decomposing.
- Buy the product at the end of the market, so that the cold chain is not interrupted.
Do not leave a lot of time exposed to heat inside the car, or outside the freezer (because its lifespan is shortened), maximum 30 minutes not to interrupt “the cold chain” of Turkey, which prevents the proliferation of bacteria that cause disease.
If possible, it must be transported in a thermal bag and away from polluting products such as cleaners, automotive oils or petrol as it absorbs these smells.
Also when you arrive at your destination, place them immediately in the refrigerator.
The guinea pig in Colombia is an emblematic dish of the Nariño cuisine and of the international gastronomy because it is of an exquisite flavor. Roast or stew is prepared.
If it is going to be consumed soon, it is marinated and refrigerated for 2 days maximum. Otherwise freeze and its duration 4 months and also depends on its freshness at the time of purchase.
Do not place raw meat with cooked meat in the refrigerator to avoid “cross-contamination”.
4 months approx. 2 days approx.
Note: If a meat has been thawed, it should not be re-frozen, because microorganisms have already been activated and may be toxic to health.
Wash your hands before handling any kind of meat and utensils such as knives, trays, boards, etc. should also be clean. Wash them after each process of each meat class.