Purchase of Broccoli:
Broccoli, it’s a vegetable, from the group of Green cabbages.
Freshness of Broccoli:
It is known in its firm and hard texture, of intense green color, without yellowish or brown parts. When you go to buy the product in the supermarket, we recommend:
- Observe that the display site is clean and adequately refrigerated.
- Choose the products, preferably in this order: vegetables, fruits, eggs, cheeses and dairy in general, after the products of pantry, but before the meats, poultry, fish and shellfish.
- When you reach your destination refrigerate, so that the “cold chain” of the same is not interrupted.
This vegetable should always be softened because it is very hard:
- Steamed or bleached for salads, creams or sauces. It is also used for molds au gratin with meat chicken or fish or empanadas, among others.
- Sauté (low oil and/or butter) to wok (large and deep frying pan) for “oriental vegetables”.
- Whole in plastic bag.
- o Remove excess stem and leaves, split into bites and whiten in boiling water with salt or steam. Allow to cool and then place in a glass or plastic container with lid and refrigerate.
- Its duration, refrigerated whole and crude, 8-10 days approximately. Refrigerated portioning cooked, 3-5 days approx.
Duration of broccoli:
8-10 days approximately.
- Before cooking, it is advisable to soak the broccoli in water with vinegar so that the worms come out of the stems, if they have them.
- To cook broccoli, it should preferably be steamed, on metal grid or bamboo kettle, so that it does not touch boiling water and lose nutrients.
It is sprayed with salt before cooking to preserve the color. If you do not have the means to cook steam, place it in salt water to boiling point (boiling) to keep its color intense, until they acquire the crispy texture (do not use coarse stems). Note:
- You can only freeze it if you are going to use it for creams or sauces and after cooked, because it changes its texture and flavor.
- Do not use thick stalks because they are very fibrous.
- Periodically check the status of the product in order to consume it in time.
- Do not freeze crude.