How to keep the Sturgeon fresh.
Sturgeon, it is the largest freshwater fish. In adulthood it can measure up to 5 meters long and weigh up to 350 kg. There are more than 20 varieties of sturgeon. Sturgeon is a species of the Caspian Sea and the Volga River (Russia). It is also highly coveted in Europe, and its caviar (fish eggs) in the whole world.
How do you know if the sturgeon is fresh?
When you go to acquire the Sturgeon, you have to consider:
- Fresh and soft smell. Sour, stale or ammonia-like odors indicate poor quality.
- Its consistency or texture must be firm. The flesh must not be like mass or slug.
- It’s good to know that once frozen fish loses firmness.
- If it is a complete piece, its eyes must be transparent, not turbid because it indicates that it has lost freshness.
- Sturgeon if possible should be purchased when refrigerated or on ice. The storage temperature of the fresh product must be 0 to 4 degrees centigrade. For the frozen product is less than 20 degrees centigrade or more.
- Do not buy frozen sturgeon when the package is open or broken.
- Sturgeon must be bought at the end of the market, so that the “cold chain” of the product is not interrupted and when it reaches its final destination, place it immediately in the refrigerator or refrigerator, whether it will freeze or refrigerate if it is to be consumed maximum the other day (24 hor AS).
- When you buy Sturgeon to freeze it for several days, it is recommended to buy it frozen.
- Attention should be given to information on banned or endangered species, times of “red tide” or any type of contamination.
The sturgeon is grilled, creamed or poached.
- Refrigerate the seasoned sturgeon, if it will be consumed soon (24 hours).
- Avoid cross-contamination during storage in the refrigerator. In other words, do not place raw sturgeon without being well packaged, next to cooked or ready-to-eat foods.
- The one that is going to freeze the sturgeon, to pack in portions according to the number of diners (people who feed at home), in plastic bags so as to only thaw what is going to be consumed in the day.
- Remember that Sturgeon being frozen loses its natural characteristics.
- Defrost with time in the refrigerator (never at room temperature or under the water stream) on a container. If you need to defrost quickly, place the part or package in a well-closed plastic bag, and it is in a container with water at room temperature and inside the refrigerator. For about 10 minutes.
- Keep in mind the avoidance of “cross contamination”, that is, when storing a cooked steak should not be near one crude.
4 months frozen. 1 day approximately refrigerated.
Once thawed, the fish should not be re-frozen, since microorganisms have been activated and can become toxic to the organism. Fish or any other food should be handled with clean hands and utensils.