Matured Cheeses are not preserved well, so you must buy the amount that will be consumed quickly. These cheeses are wrapped in aluminum or wax paper and in cardboard or wood packages with a label, making it difficult to know the actual state of the cheese.
A touch-cured cheese should be spongy, not hard or too soft. Its aroma must be the characteristic of each cheese, (should never have ammonia odor). Flavor (lactic) that goes from soft to Pungent. Avoid buying bloated, damaged or bumped containers. Check the expiration date. When you buy it in a cheese factory, ask to have it cut out of a whole queso and ask if you can taste it (appearance, color, smell, flavor, texture… etc.). There are semi-ripe cheeses like the American type melt.
When you go to buy the product to the supermarket you should take into account,
- Observe that the refrigerator where the product is being exhibited is operating properly (which is cooling).
- Observe the expiration date of the product or its expiration, which is not covered, altered, or retreaded. Choose the product with date as far as Possible.
- Check the packaging, which is in optimal condition, not in a pinched, damaged or beaten position. Neither with broken or discarded labels.
- Check that the gasket is not inflated (blown), because this indicates that the product is already decomposing.
- Buy the product at the end of the market, so that the cold chain is not interrupted.
Matured cheeses storage:
Refrigerated, for a very few days. Brie and Camembert can be frozen in portions and packed in a hermetic bag.
Defrost in the Refrigerator.
Consume when thawed. Duration, refrigerated, 2-4 days, approx. Frozen, 3-4 weeks, so that it does not alter its flavor.
It must be remembered that the “useful life” of the product depends on its state at the time of purchase and its subsequent storage and maintenance.
Matured cheeses Conservation:
3-4 weeks approx. 2-4 days approx.
Nutrients and properties:
Keep well covered and refrigerated. Periodically check the status of the product to be able to consume it in time.