The PECORINO, ripe cheese.
It is a mature cheese of Italian origin, which is made from sheep’s milk (Pécora in Italian).
There are 5 main varieties all with (DOP), denomination of origin protected, they are:
- Romano, the best-known of all, especially in the United States.
- Sardinian (Sardinia).
- Tuscan (Tuscan).
- Sicilian (from Sicily).
- Filiano (from Basilicata.)
When you go to buy the product to the supermarket you should take into account,
- Observe that the refrigerator where the product is being exhibited is operating properly (which is cooling).
- Observe the expiration date of the product or its expiration, which is not covered, altered, or retreaded.
Choose the product with date as far as Possible.
- Check the packaging, which is in optimal condition, not in a pinched, damaged or beaten position.
Neither with broken or discarded labels.
- Check that the gasket is not inflated (blown), because this indicates that the product is already decomposing.
- Buy the product at the end of the market, so that the cold chain is not interrupted.
Alone, or with pasta, fries, pizzas.
PECORINO CHEESE Storage:
In a cool and dry place, because the salt it contains is preserved for a long time. Follow the maintenance instructions printed on the product packaging.
Stored in the right conditions, lasts for up to 3 months.
Keep dairy products away from meat, fish, vegetables and fruits in the refrigerator to avoid “cross-contamination”.
It must be remembered that the “useful life” of the product depends on its state at the time of purchase and its subsequent storage and maintenance.
PECORINO CHEESE Conservation:
–Remove from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving because at room temperature, its organoleptic qualities are better appreciated (flavor, texture, aroma and colour).
-If a piece of mature cheese develops mold, you must cut the piece with mold with half an inch (1.5 cm) more around, and eat the cheese as soon as possible.
–The cheese the less portioning it is, lasts longer because it has less surface exposed to the air.
Periodically check the status of the product to be able to consume it in time.