TILSIT, is a mature cheese, was created in the NINETEENTH century by Swiss artisans in eastern Prussia. It receives its name from Tilsit a city of this country. It is made from cow’s milk, pasteurized.
It is a strong-smelling cheese, almost firm texture, semi-hard, with small irregular gaps, with a somewhat pungent strong flavor, aromatized with meadow cumin seeds and pepper. Fat content up to 65%. Color ranging from white, cream color, light yellow and yellow.
Its maturation is 2-3 months.
When you go to buy the product to the supermarket you should take into account,
- Observe that the refrigerator where the product is being exhibited is operating properly (which is cooling).
- Observe the expiration date of the product or its expiration, which is not covered, altered, or retreaded.
Choose the product with date as far as Possible.
- Check the packaging, which is in optimal condition, not in a pinched, damaged or beaten position. Neither with broken or discarded labels.
- Check that the gasket is not inflated (blown), because this indicates that the product is already decomposing.
- Buy the product at the end of the market, so that the cold chain is not interrupted.
It is used for breakfasts, accompanied by dark breads.
Also in cubes with salads and melted in sauces and Fondue, or with potatoes and burgers.
In cheese tables and to accompany wines.
In rectangular or round block.
Keep well covered and refrigerated.
Refrigerated and stored in suitable conditions, 4-6 weeks.
In the refrigerator keep dairy products away from meats, fish, vegetables and fruits, to avoid “cross contamination”.
It must be remembered that the “useful life” of the product depends on its state at the time of purchase and its subsequent storage and maintenance.
4-6 weeks approx.
Cheese The less portioning it is, lasts longer because it has less surface exposed to the air.
Remove from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving, because at room temperature, its organoleptic qualities are better appreciated (flavor, texture, aroma and color).
If a piece of mature cheese develops mold, you should cut the piece with mold with half an inch (1.5 cm) more around, and eat the cheese as soon as possible.
Nutrients and properties:
Periodically check the status of the product to be able to consume it in time.